Daily Scrum (also called Daily Stand-up, Daily or just Standup) is one of the most underestimated and misused of all Scrum Events. However good Daily Standup will double the productivity of your team and bring other advantages.
What is Daily Scrum
The Scrum Guide defines Daily Scrum as a 15-minute time-boxed event for the Development Team. The Daily Scrum is held every day of the Sprint. At it, the Development Team plans work for the next 24 hours. This optimizes team collaboration and performance by inspecting the work since the last Daily Scrum and forecasting upcoming Sprint work. The Daily Scrum is held at the same time and place each day to reduce complexity.
Inspect and Adapt
The Development Team and the Product Owner craft a Sprint Goal during the Sprint Planning event and the Development Team as a whole commits to achieve the Sprint Goal.
Daily Scrum present (daily) opportunity inspect the progress towards the Sprint Goal and adapt should the find any impediments. Thus the are increasing the probability of meeting the Sprint Goal.
Good Daily Scrum will:
- increase productivity, cooperation, team spirit and transparency
- increase effectivity by eliminating other meetings
- decrease the technical debt of the team by improving the Development Team’s level of knowledge.
Daily Scrum is not a status meeting
It happens very often that the event is used as a status meeting. Team members report (to one another, to Scrum Master, to Product Owner) that tasks are done. That is a wrong approach!
The purpose of the event is to coordinate and plan the work of the Development Team to achieve the Sprint Goal and to identify impediments that can prevent the team from achieving the Sprint Goal. Everybody can see the DONE tasks on the Scrum Board.
Role of Scrum Master in Daily Scrum
Although it is not mandatory for the Scrum Master to be present during the Daily Scrum I strongly recommend the Scrum Master to be present (until he is sure the team does the event correctly).
Key task for the Scrum Master is to clearly explain the essence and benefits of the Daily Scrum to the development team. Only then will the Development Team do the Daily Scrum correctly.
The Scrum Master ensures that the Development Team has the meeting, but the Development Team is responsible for conducting the Daily Scrum. The Scrum Master teaches the Development Team to keep the Daily Scrum within the 15-minute time-box.
The Daily Scrum is an internal meeting for the Development Team. If others are present, the Scrum Master ensures that they do not disrupt the meeting.
If impediments are identified during the event, the Scrum Muster will usually start to remove the immediately after the conclusion of the event.
Tips and tricks
- As a Scrum Master clearly explain a meaning and purpose of the Daily Scrum to the development team and make sure that the team understands the purpose and know why Daily Standup takes places and how to perform it correctly.
- Do the Daily Scrum daily!
- Do the Daily Scrum daily at the same time and at the same place.
- Start and finish on time even if not all members of the development team are present (members of the development team will learn to be on time).
- Actually stand during the Daily Standup (you will be more focused and the meeting will be more efficient).
- Be prepared for the event.
- Update your Scrum Board before the event.
- Start Daily Scrum by reminding what is the Sprint Goal and how do you plan to achieve it.
- As a Scrum Master start to remove the impediments immediately after the Daily Scrum.
Attend our seminars
If you want to learn more about Agile Marketing visit our Agile Marekting – Free Workshop.