Scrum Master in Agile Marketing is a member of the Marketing Team together with the Product Owner and the Development Team (I usually call it the Production Team as I consider it more fitting considering the marketing domain).
Why is Scrum Master in Agile Marketing important?
As with any other Agile or Scrum team, in Agile Marketing the Scrum Master is a key role on your team. The Scrum Master has three fundamental tasks:
- She or he helps the team and the entire organisation in Agile and Scrum adoption.
- She or he helps the team with fast and right decision-making.
- She or he removes impediments that hinders the progress of the Development Team (or the Product Owner).
A Scrum Master thus increases creativity, flexibility and productivity of your entire Marketing Team and by extension the effectivity of your entire marketing.
Let’s use the Scrum Guide and look more closely how Scrum Master servers the Product Owner, the Development Team and the Organization.
Scrum Master Service to the Product Owner
The Scrum Master serves the Product Owner in several ways, including:
- Ensuring that goals, scope, and product domain are understood by everyone on the Scrum Team as well as possible;
- Finding techniques for effective Product Backlog management;
- Helping the Scrum Team understand the need for clear and concise Product Backlog items;
- Understanding product planning in an empirical environment;
- Ensuring the Product Owner knows how to arrange the Product Backlog to maximize value;
- Understanding and practicing agility; and,
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed.
Scrum Master Service to the Development Team
The Scrum Master serves the Development Team in several ways, including:
- Coaching the Development Team in self-organization and cross-functionality;
- Helping the Development Team to create high-value products;
- Removing impediments to the Development Team’s progress;
- Facilitating Scrum events as requested or needed; and,
- Coaching the Development Team in organizational environments in which Scrum is not yet fully adopted and understood.
Scrum Master Service to the Organization
The Scrum Master serves the organization in several ways, including:
- Leading and coaching the organization in its Scrum adoption;
- Planning Scrum implementations within the Organization;
- Helping employees and stakeholders understand and enact Scrum and empirical product development;
- Causing change that increases the productivity of the Scrum Team; and,
- Working with other Scrum Masters to increase the effectiveness of the application of Scrum in the organization.
Skills and abilities
Implementation of Agile and Scrum is difficult and never-ending process. The Development team should continuously improve creativity, productivity, effectivity, transparency. To do so, it needs constant help / service of the Scrum Master and she or he must be available to the Development Team as needed. And not just the Development Team but to the Product Owner, organisation and stakeholders as well.
- Good listener
- Flexible and open to changes
- Desire to continuously improve her of himself as well as the team
- Team player
The Scrum Master in Agile Marketing needs to have a deep knowledge and understanding of Agile and Scrum. She or he must understand not only the roles, events, artefacts and rules but most importantly the essence (Google the Shu Ha Ri concept in Scrum). Only then is she or he able to effectively serve the Product Owner, Development Team and the Organization. Scrum Master who has seen the Scrum Guide once or twice will do you no good.
I would also advocate that it is a huge advantage if the Scrum Master has at least a basic knowledge of the domain – in this case the marketing.
Attend our seminars
If you want to learn more about Agile Marketing visit our Agile Marekting – Free Workshop.